The Great Grape Jelly Experiment

Not wanting to take the chance that the birds would eat all the grapes again this year, we decided to harvest them a little early.    Because they were picked early the grapes were pretty tart so I decided it would be best to make jelly.  Never having done this before I ended up doing alot of reading to find the best process.  I settled on a recipe I found in the Ball Canning Book although I took a few liberties here and there.

20120904-232549.jpg

These are the grapes after I picked them and cleaned out the really bad ones.  I ended up with about 5 lbs of grapes.

20120904-232608.jpg

After cleaning, washing and separating them from the stems. I cooked the all grapes in a large pot with about a cup of water.  I didn’t remove the skins.  Some recipes called for doing that but I went with the recipe that said they would get soft enough to mash in the pot.  That worked perfectly!

20120904-232627.jpg

After they cooked for about 10 minutes or so I started to mash them using this old potato masher.  Some recipes I found said to use a blender but I found that it really wasn’t necessary since the grapes got so soft from cooking. I strained the grape mixture using an ordinary strainer; pressing the pulp down with a wooden spoon.  The end product  turned out more like jam despite not using the skins. Some recipes called for using cheesecloth in the strainer or using a jelly bag but I opted to just use the strainer which strained out the seeds and skin but allowed the grape juice/pulp mixture to strain through.  I was pleased with this decision.

The recipe called for refrigerating the juice overnight so I did that although I’m not sure if it was really necessary.  I just didn’t want to mess with the recipe too much on my first attempt so into the fridge it went…and I was glad for the break!

20120906-235408.jpg

I had an old packet of pectin that had expired.  I researched this and came to the conclusion that it was in my best interest to get some new pectin; apparently it will only be good for about a year.  I purchased Ball brand in a small plastic jar.  The directions indicated that 6 tablespoons were the equivalent of one packet so that’s what I used.

Meanwhile I loaded up the jars in the diswasher and washed them at the sanitary setting.  Alternatively I could have boiled the jars in a large pot to sterilize them.

20120906-235433.jpg

The next day I placed all the lids and rings in another pot of water and got them just to simmering.  I left them in the hot water until I was ready to use them.  Most of the recipes cautioned against  actually boiling the lids.

20120906-235422.jpg

I took the jars out of the diswasher and placed them in a roasting pan of hot, simmering water.  I placed the lid over the jars until I was ready to use them.  Meanwhile I got the juice out of the fridge and measured 5 cups into a pot on the stove.  After heating the juice to a simmer, I added 5 cups of sugar despite being hesitant about using that much.  All of the recipes used about the same amount of sugar so I figured it was in my best interest not to mess with that.  This was an experiment after all!  I then added the 6 T of pectin.  It was lumpy at first but I was able to stir it smooth with a wooden spoon.  I then proceeded to ladle the juice into the jars using a wide mouth funnel.  Warning!  The mixture is VERY HOT!  I carefully wiped off the jar rims with a clean, damp cloth.

20120906-235708.jpg

After placing the lids on the jars and screwing the rings on tightly, the jars were placed in the canner in boiling water and processed for 5 minutes.

Voila!  8 jars of delicious jelly/jam.   I’d say the Great Jelly Experiment was a huge success!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s